This is a place where I collect and archive recipes from all over the place. These recipes were picked because these are food that I love to eat. I copied the recipes from other sources and I have included the links to each source.

I have cooked some of these dishes and I would be happy to discuss my story with you. Feel free to email me at scientistcooks@gmail.com or check out my food blog www.foodmolecule.blogspot.com

Friday, September 14, 2012

Cornflakes baked chicken


http://mykitchenantics.blogspot.co.uk/
Cornflake crusted chicken and announcing the World's Biggest Coffee Morning


IMG_1688
I have exhausted almost everything from my drafts and this was a recipe I hadn't planned on posting, not because the recipe was a failure, but because I wasn't too happy with the pictures. Since I hadn't fed my blog in a while, I thought, why not, lets get it out there. 

My last set of guests have left and I must say its awfully quiet around here. No rushing between houses, no early morning sightseeing and no travelling in the car (which I dread completely. Hail the London Underground). I haven't cooked in a reaaaallly long time and as always, its a slow start. Even with taking pics and stuff, I haven't really got down to it and I hope it wont be long before I'm up and about with the camera and props.
IMG_1703 
Anyways, this cornflake crusted chicken was the after effect of a cornflake over dose, more like, I want to finish it off as soon as possible so I have to think of recipes to use them in. So dinner on one night was taken care of with these crispy, crunchy chicken which I served with a healthy salad. I still had some more remaining which I force fed my sister-in-law when she stayed with us for a month :) :)

Its an easy peacy recipe and quite tasty for a picnic and such. It wont go soggy on you if you store it in an air tight container. I even used up the boneless crusted pieces of chicken in a sandwich the next day and it was just as good. So go on, try it and I'm sure you'll thank me later. Don't judge the recipe by the pics, it was waaaay better tasting than it looks :)

Recipe adapted from here
IMG_1658 
Chicken- 1/2 kg (mix of drumsticks and thighs, cut into large pieces)
Buttermilk- 300ml
Cumin powder- 1 tsp
Kashmiri chilli powder- 1 tsp
Spicy chilly powder- 1 tsp (paprika)
Black pepper powder- 1/2 tsp
Garlic powder- 1 tsp
Salt- to taste
Cornflakes- 3 cups (crushed using a rolling pin. Don't powder it)
Parmesan cheese- 3 tbsp (grated)
Salt and pepper- to season
IMG_1679
Whisk together the buttermilk with cumin, chilli powders, pepper, garlic and salt. 
Place the chicken pieces in a non reactive bowl and pour the marinade over. Mix well and keep it covered in a refrigerator for a minimum of 3 hours or overnight.
When ready to cook, pre heat the oven to 220C.
Place a wire rack over a baking tray and keep aside. You can place a sheet of foil on the baking tray to catch any juices or crumbs falling off the chicken. Less cleaning that way :)
Season the crushed cornflakes with the Parmesan and salt and pepper. Mix well and keep ready in a shallow bowl.
Shake off the excess marinade from the chicken, keeping some on for the cornflakes to stick and then roll the pieces in the crumb mix properly, making sure they are completely coated.
Place on the wire rack and into the oven. 
Bake for about 25 minutes, making sure you check the chicken pieces every 10 minutes and turning them around if required. They should not brown too much.
To check if its done, slice through to the bone and if the juices run clear, and the meat is not pink, you are good to go.
Take out of the oven and serve when still hot.

Notes: You can basically add any spice of choice and then coat the chicken with cornflakes.
To get a much crispier version, place under the broiler towards the end. Again, make sure you don't burn it.

No comments:

Post a Comment